Whilst I've never taken my tree-top home for granted, I've come to appreciate its space, proximity to nature + cleverly-designed zoned living (read: hiding spots!) even more-so over this quarantine time.
Now, because we all haven't been able to have people over (and a nice dose of cabin fever has kicked in!), I thought I could virtually invite y'all over for a house tour?
If video is more your thing, you can catch our LIVE house tours from a few weeks back on our IGTV .
1. Cova floor cushion, Tangerine 2. Capri Velvet Sham, Saltbush 3. Rosa Velvet Cushion 4. Myrtle Soutache Cushion 6. Harlequin wall hanging, coming soon (check out our other wall hangings here)!! 7.Custom SxC rug *Sofa: original De Sede DS76 from Leonard Joel; Lighting: Lights, Lights, Lights; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White*
So, why not grab yourself a cuppa (I'm sipping on a strong chai myself) and have a look around my place as I recap our IGTV.
I'll show you around Jude's room + the soon-to-arrive baby's space/our bedroom, kitchen + living area and finally, the rumpus/multi-purpose room. And, I'll answer the top 3 viewers question for each space.
Yay and phew - I'm outta' breath already!
1. Ida Polka Dot Bedcover 2. Teeny Quilt 3.Delvene Flat Sheet 4. Poppi Fitted Sheet 5. Condo Cotton Pillowcase 6. Bumbi Cotton Pillowcase 7. Viola Star Cushion 8. Mobile SxC past season *Suitcase on floor, Olli Ella; Cane mirror from Waverley Bazaar; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White *
1.Loveat Quilt 2. Lio Stripe Linen Flat Sheet, Tangerine 3. Ajo Linen Fitted Sheet, Saltbush 4. Betty Crochet Cushion 5.Carman Pillowcase, Saltbush 6. Moonlight Pillowcase 7.Viola Star Cushion . *Crochet blanket, vintage; ' Pod Cot ' from Ubabub; Macrame Wall Hanging from Eltham Market, Pendant: Lights, Lights, Lights; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White *
1. Cindy Knit Cushion 2. Andrea Stripe Cushion 3. Custom rug, SxC made-to-order. *Samsung 'The Frame' TV; Floor Seats from The Family Love Tree (past season), Lighting: Lights, Lights, Lights; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White *
Kids + Baby
Jude's room is actually quite a small room, but the perfect size for a toddler and it is adjacent to our room (ie: convenient for middle-of-the-night bad dream/I need a drink of water/why is the sky blue pressing question scenarios.....).
*Miffy lamp from Leo + Bella*
*Cane elephant basket + chairs from Waverley Bazaar; Wall sculpture by Twiggarie (my Dad!); Heart artwork by Madeleine Stamer; Fish artwork by the master artist himself, Jude; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White*
1) I find it so hard to find bedding for my pre-teen / teen, haalllllp!
It must be so tricky to buy for that age bracket when they're not a little tacker anymore, but nor are they quite up to the 'grown-up' stage' (although they may tell you differently....?!).
We've worked hard to design a range that has something to offer for both the littlies + the biggies: Our Delvene, Teeny + Poppy prints would easily see your child through from childhood to adolescence - I would honestly have them on my own bed if they fit!
1. Poppy fitted sheet 2. Delvene flat sheet 3. Teeny quilt cover 4. Condo pillowcase
What you may not realise is that our king single size bedding is the same size as a double in the quilt and flat sheet.
I know most people whose kids have a king single bed tend to put a double quilt on them, so this size will fit a-ok. Or, if you have a single bed that is quite high, or you just like a lot of overhang, the king single size will fit a single *like a dream*.
1. Ida Polka Dot Bedcover 2. Teeny Quilt 3. Delvene Flat Sheet 4. Poppi Fitted Sheet 5. Condo Cotton Pillowcase 6. Bumbi Cotton Pillowcase 7. Viola Star Cushion *Jude's bed is a standard single, with single-size bedding; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White *
*Miffy lamp from Leo + Bella; World Map, cane basket + sideboard from Waverley Bazaar; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White*
2) Where do you find all the cool, quirky, vintage type decor in Jude's room like that world map?
I'm a vintage treasure hunter from waaaaaay back! My favourite secret haunt is Waverley Antique Baazar (maybe I shouldn't have told you that, not such a secret anymore!) and my idea of a perfect weekend activity is to visit there and search for some unique + quirky finds like this perfectly imperfect world map shown here in Jude's room.
1. Ida Polka Dot Bedcover 2. Teeny Quilt 3.Delvene Flat Sheet 4. Poppi Fitted Sheet 5. Condo Cotton Pillowcase 6. Bumbi Cotton Pillowcase 7. Viola Star Cushion 8.Mobile SxC past season 9. Wall sculpture by Twiggarie (my Dad!); *Cane basket + mirror from Waverley Bazaar; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White*
3) Kids furniture brands you recommend?
Jude's bed is from IKEA, and to be honest? He's probably in need of another as this one seems kinda' flimsy.
It was a very last-minute purchase for him when we realised he was starting to resemble a fortune cookie in his cot (sorry Jude!), meaning we didn't really have the time to spend sourcing what we would've ideally liked.
1.Loveat Quilt 2. Lio Stripe Linen Flat Sheet, Tangerine 3. Ajo Linen Fitted Sheet, Saltbush 4. Betty Crochet Cushion 5.Carman Pillowcase, Saltbush 6. Simo Velvet Pillowcase, Saltbush 7.Viola Star Cushion 8. Happy Society candle *Crochet blanket, vintage; ' Pod Cot ' from Ubabub; Pendants from Lights, Lights, Lights; Bedside tables from Pop + Scott; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White *
Our soon-to-arrive baby is most definitely living it up in S-T-Y-L-E in this Ubabub 'Pod Cot': the perfect blend of design detail + quality workmanship and luckily it fits so neatly in our bedroom (bubs will be bunking down in our room for a bit as we're a bit light on for bedroom space!).
Other furniture brands for kids I love:
1. Viola Star Cushion 2. Rylie Cushion (past season), see here for similar 3. Cot Sheet (past season), see here for similar 4. Happy Society candle *Crochet Rug, vintage score; 'Pod Cot' from Ubabub; Pendants from Lights, Lights, Lights; Bedside tables from Pop + Scott; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White*
No house is perfect" (hate to state the bloody obvious!) and in our place, my next-on-the-update-list is our kitchen.
Functionally, it works beautifully (I like big benches and I cannot lie) and we did do a mini-makeover shortly after moving in (lighting from Lights, Lights, Lights + a snazzy new splashback), but aesthetically there are a few things I would like to update: our benchtop (mmmmm hello Terrazzo) + the cupboard handles to give it the vibe I covet.
All in good time Phoebe, all in good time..... (say it 10 times and hopefully it sinks in!)
1. Cova floor cushion, Tangerine 2. Capri Velvet Sham, Saltbush 3. Rosa Velvet Cushion 4. Rosie Embellished cushion *5. Harlequin wall hanging, coming soon (check out our other wall hangings here)!! *Sofa original De Sede DS76 from Leonard Joel; Artworks: Belynda Henry + Indigenous artwork purchased from Leonard Joel auction, Lighting: Lights, Lights, Lights; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White*
1. Evelyn Tufted Cushion 2. Jenny Velvet Cushion, Pistachio . 3. Rafa Fringe Cushion (currently sold out) 4. Etienne Floor Cushions, Khaki + Nude *Whilst I would like to think these plants are thriving due to tough love, full credit goes to the gorgeous natural light which streams in through this window*
1) Advice for adding colour + pattern in your home, without it looking OTT???
Everyone's got their own comfort level when it comes to colour + pattern, but for me, I love the colour + pattern to be paired back with lots of earthy + natural timbers which, I think, can help tone down any potential brashness.
To help with this we also chose a really earthy white for the walls: Dulux Whisper White. Which, combined with the timber, helps bring things down a notch.
1. Almarita Wall Hanging 2. Rylie Cushions in assorted colours *Jardan rug, lucky find on Gumtree; Dining Table from Waverley Bazaar; Chairs from CCSS, Lighting: Lights, Lights, Lights; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White *
1. Patty Floral Cushion 2. Wilma Wall Hanging 3. Almarita Wall Hanging. *Jardan Rug, lucky find on Gumtree; Dining Table from Waverley Bazaar; Chairs from CCSS, Lighting: Lights, Lights, Lights; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White *
2) Where to find a cool dining table + chairs, love yours!?
My dining table is from Waverley Bazaar and the chairs I picked up from another fav store: CCSS . I think where some people fall into a trap when it comes to capturing that vintage aesthetic is feeling like you have to buy the table + the chairs at the same time. Nah-uuuuhhh.
I'd suggest finding a table first, and then begin collecting chairs; I'm also a fan of the cleverly mismatched dining chair look: eclectic + characterful.
Some other fav places I stalk for vintage pieces are:
- Grandfathers Axe
- Modern Times
- Leonard Joel (love their Thursday auction)
- And the ol' faithfuls: Gumtree + FB Marketplace
1. Dado Fringe Cushion 2. Elsa Metallic Knit Cushion 3. Maisy Knit Cushion *Featherston sofa from Leonard Joel; Samsung 'The Frame' TV (promise, I'm not sponsored - just love their TV's!); Mirrors from HK Living + Waverley Bazaar; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White *
*Sideboard + Cane Bookshelf from Waverley Bazaar (seeing a trend here...!?); Samsung 'The Frame' TV, Lighting: Lights, Lights, Lights; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White *
3) Has the 70's vintage/retro vibe always been your thing?
I've always loved interiors and definitely tried different types of styles throughout the years, but I think this 70's retro vibe is the one for me (born in the wrong era perhaps? most definitely!).
In my spare time (urgh, what's that again!?) I diligently pour over Gumtree + Marketplace and I love checking out realeastate.com.au for local 70's style homes. Hhhhmmm what's a hobby again?
This downstairs multi-purpose room - I imagine - will serve as an ideal sneak out (or in!) for Jude + the new baby once they become teenagers (me: going to Bunnings to buy a deadlock in preparation. now). But until it becomes a fully fledged teenage escape zone, we're using it as a TV room/spare bedroom/home office.
Having two families living in the one house - my twin sister and SxC designer, Jem lives here with her small family - this room allows us all to have a convenient refuge to get some time out when needed (or, so I can do my Gumtree/Market Place stalking without *too much* judgement).
1. Hayfolk Quilt 2. Moss Linen Pillowcase 3. Paloma Linen Pillowcase 4. Moss Stripe Linen Fitted Sheet 5. Sueno Fringe Cushion (on chair). 6. Custom SxC Rug * Lighting: Lights, Lights, Lights; Paint: Dulux, Whisper White *.
1. Hayfolk Quilt Cover 2. Custom size SxC Rug (based on our popular, 'Juno Beni' Rug) 3. House Socks (currently sold out, but check back here!)
1.Custom size SxC rug *Floor Seats from The Family Love Tree (past season); Orange Stools CCSS; Paint: Dulux, Robin Hood + Whisper White*
1) Where are the rugs from?
Cushiony (it's a word. ok?) rugs are my thang and these two super-sized versions we had custom-made by our SxC artisans in India for this large space. The one under the bed is based on our ever-popular 'Juno Beni' rug. Lush!
*Sofa from CCSS; Bookshelf custom made, Lighting: Lights, Lights, Lights; Paint: Dulux, Robin Hood *
*proud to say not only have I read *most* of these books, but I've also kept this plant alive!; Paint: Dulux, Robin Hood*
2) Where are the shelves from, they look super sturdy?
When we first moved into our home, this room was a bit of cavernous den.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
We didn't have a huge budget to spend on cabinetry in this space; this shelving concept enabled us to achieve the custom cabinetry look, but affordably. Cha-ching 💰.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The brackets are from Bunnings and our talented carpenters @cjandc_construction then fixed some sturdy ply to the brackets and voila! All I then had to do was add copious amounts of books and not kill the greenery to complete the look (so far, so good...).
1. Custom SxC Rug 2. Capri Velvet Sham, Nude 3. Hazel Flower Cushion 4. Nancy Knit Cushion 5.Roberta Knit Cushion *Sofa from CCSS; Wall light from Lights, Lights, Lights; Orange Stools CCSS; Paint: Dulux, Robin Hood*
1. Nancy Knit Cushion 2.Roberta Knit Cushion *Orange Stools CCSS; Paint: Dulux, Robin Hood*
3) Colour on the wall? It's a unique + brave choice, I love it!
It's from Dulux and the colour is 'Robin Hood'. And yes, it was quite a brave choice and whilst I was pretty sure it was gonna' work I can't say our tradespeople who were working here at the time were so confident though (negative nancy's should've stuck to what they know, hey?!). ...
I think it's safe to say they were proven wrong (and I not-so-humbly let 'em know too), I think it gives a really beautiful cosy feel to the room, injects a heck of a lot of personality and it goes with almost-everything!
Thanks so much for coming over and having a look around, don't forget to check out our IGTV for more!
Feelin' easy like Sunday morning? Here are some other Journals you may be interested in:
- Katie Brannaghan: Mid-Century Modern Style
- You say Tiger, we say Tigre: AW20 is here
- Handcrafted: The Heartbeat of our Brand